African-American News, Business, Education, Politics, Technology and Social Commentary For Metro Milwaukee.
Mother’s Against Gun Violence (MAGV) is an organization in this community trying to help stop the violence in our community. Please join us in supporting these families and praying over them and saying ENOUGH bloodshed in our community.
A Letter from Mayor Barrett:
A Call for Action to Fight Crime and Reduce Violence Dear Friends: Warm weather typically brings an increase in violent crime, and I believe it is critical that we act early and aggressively to provide law enforcement with the tools they need to keep Milwaukee neighborhoods safe. Many of these tools require the approval of the State Legislature, and the time to act is now – before summer arrives. We need tougher consequences for felons and others who think little of using, carrying or selling illegal guns to terrorize our residents; we need specific legislation to deal with illegal guns; and we need appropriate resources so law enforcement has the manpower and technology it needs to crack down on illegal guns and the criminals who use them. Specifically Chief Flynn, District Attorney Chisholm and I believe the State Legislature must adopt legislation that will address the following: Minimum Mandatory sentences for felons and individuals with prior criminal records in possession of a weapon. Tougher sentences for crimes committed with firearms. Mandatory background checks on all sales of handguns. Adoption of micro-stamping technology legislation. Funding for Community Prosecutors, Drug Prosecutors and Violent Crime Prosecutors in the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office. Direct the 911 emergency surcharge collected within the City of Milwaukee to help pay for police, firefighters and paramedics in the City of Milwaukee. The Legislature has convened Special Sessions to address the state budget and the Great Lakes Compact. I believe fighting crime and reducing violence in Milwaukee and across Wisconsin are equally worthy of a Special Session. The governor has been an ally in the mission to keep Milwaukee safe, and I know he shares my strong belief that gun violence must not be tolerated. Gang members, felons and other criminals who choose to commit violent crime in Milwaukee must face serious consequences for their reckless acts. It’s time to toughen the message, enforce stiff penalties and fund the prosecutors and police needed to put away the bad guys. The time to act is now, and I ask the State Legislature to provide the tools to make Milwaukee safer.
MICAH, a church-based organization, sponsors non-denominational prayer vigils as part of their “Holy Ground” campaign at the sites of homicides in Milwaukee. To be put on the phone tree to be notified of the time of these vigils, please call Marna of Mothers Against Gun Violence at 414–372–4358.
Please note that this count of homicides in the city of Milwaukee is for all homicides in this year. The Holy Ground Campaign count of homicides, which comes to MICAH from the Milwaukee police department does not coincide with the official count of the city of Milwaukee. The official count of the city of Milwaukee excludes some homicides involving a vehicle (vehicular homicides), some on or near county grounds in the city, and homicides resulting from police shootings.
1. Adam Jon Sobel (age 41) male body found in an alley in the 2800 block of N. 50th Street.
2. Dedrie A. Kelly-Baldwin (age 39) female was slain in the 3900 block of N. 28th Street.
3. Trinitee Carson (age 2) female suffered multiple injuries at a home in the 9000 block of N. 75th Street.
4. Rufino-Dominguez-Rosas (age 34) male was struck by a car in the 1000 block of S. Cesar Chavez Drive.
5. Jarrell D. Johnson (age 25) male.
6. Kewondo Boyd (age 30) Female was stabbed to death in the 900 block on N 28th in a domestic violence incident.
7. Scott Benton (age 40) male died in a fire at 500 N. 29th Street.
8. Jesus Carlos (age 50).
9. Oscar Vega (age 18) male was shot during a robbery in the 1900 block of W. Galena.
10. Bruce Jerzey (age 38) male shot and killed inside a house in the 500 block of E. Potter. A 15 year old also was shot at that location but injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.
11. Michael J. Grabowski Jr. (age 30) male was helping a pedestrian who was hit by a car when he was struck by a vehicle in the 3300 block of W. Lincoln.
12. Diamaris Gonzalez (age 23) female shot.
13. Yvontae S. Young (age 18) died in a shooting in the 4700 block of W. Rohr. A 15 year old also was shot but suffered only non-life threatening injuries.
14. Robert L. Horne (age 60) male was stabbed to death in a transitional living facility in the 4300 block of N. 27th Street.
15. Daniel L. Thompson (age 25) male was shot to death in the 3200 block of N. 26th Street.
16. Oshay D. Shaffer (age 17) male was shot outside a friends house in the 500 block of W. Maple Street.
17. Kamari J. Curtis (age 2) boy beaten at 2224 W. Wisconsin Avenue.
18. Brandon C. Thomas (age 26) shot and killed in an apartment in the 1300 block of W. Locust Avenue after a quarrel.
19. Joseph Johnson (age 27) was shot from an argument during a basketball game at O’Tiefenthaler Park near N. 24th and W. Cherry Street.
20. Dominique Greenwood (age 21) male shot at the intersection of N. 53rd and W. Fairmont Avenue.
21. Alvin Fuller (age 34) male shot to death in the 6000 block of N. 63rd Street.
22. Tajun L. Spencer (age 29) shot in the 3200 block of N. 11th Street.
23. Norma L. Williams (age 47) female killed in the 4600 block of N. 27th Street.
24. Meanie M. Jones (age 38) female shot to death in the 5800 block of N. 38th Street.
25. Cleveland D. Walker (age 37) male shot to death in the 5800 block of N. 38th Street.
26. Benita Castro (age 23) male was shot while driving in an alley after an altercation in the 2400 block of W. Mitchell Street.
27. Royality Sanders (age 10 months) boy died in the 5100 block of N. 47th Street after the infant was fed morphine and oxycodone.
28. Devon J. Butler (age 17) male was shot before he crashed a SUV at the corner of N. 38th and W. Fond du lac Avenue.
29. Shelton D. Smith (age 16) male shot to death in a scrap yard in the 9000 block of W. Fond du lac Avenue.
30. Anthony F. Brown (age 25) male killed in a shooting in the street in the 2300 block of N. 15th Street. A 44 year old women was also shot but she is expected to survive.
31. Luz E. Cardona-Baez (age 31) female fatally shot in the 1500 block of S. 23rd Street.
32. Lee E. McTiller (age 31) male shot to death in the 2400 block of N. 49th Street.
33. Luis E. Santiago (age 30) male was fatally shot during a bar fight inside LaPiazza at 1504 E. North Avenue. Another 28 year old man was wounded his injuries not life threatening.
34. Antonio L. Stewart (age 20) male shot.
35. Derrick Marquez (age 10 months) boy died after being hit with a video game controller.
36. Javonte Bohanan (age 18) male killed in a vehicular accident at the intersection of N. 35th and W. Townsend Street.
37. Ahmed N. Cooper (age 52) male died from blunt force trauma on a porch in the 2000 block of N. 37th Street.
38. Kenlance Wherry (age 34) male was shot in an alley in the 2700 block of N. 38th Street.
39. Gennie Cooks (age 50) male was shot on a porch in the 2300 block of N. 15th Street.
40. Jenaya Hicks (age 1) girl died of blunt-force injuries of the torso. Her death was ruled a homicide.
41. Shelton Atterberry (age 36) male stabbed during a fight over the relationship in the 2800 block of W. Meinecke Avenue.
42. Kenda M. Baker (age 25) male shot and killed in the 1700 block of W. Mineral Street after an argument.
43. Latare Nixon (age 37) male was killed by police in the 3100 block of N 44th Street.
44. Rebecca Manzke (age 34) female stabbed by her boyfriend in the 7300 block of W. Burdick Avenue.
45. Ashantia L. Lindsey (age 19) male shot inside a house in the 1300 block of W. Madison during an ongoing feud with the suspect.
46. Kenneth Cunning (age 26) male shot in the 3500 block of N. l0th Street by his friend.
47. Curtis J. Walker (age 18) male was shot several times and killed outside a home in the 5500 block of N. 34th Street during an ongoing dispute.
48. Cordell Robinson (age 22) male was shot in the 1800 block of W. Kearney Place.
49. Terrence Leverson (age 27) male died of gunshot wounds at a family barbecue in the 3500 block of N. 23rd Street.
50. Antrell C. Blake (age 22) male was shot and killed in the 2800 block of N. 24th Place.
51. Johnny Jordan (age 43) male thrown into the river from the Wisconsin Avenue bridge during a fight and drowned.
52. Terry Jordan (age 53) male shot during domestic violence in a home in the 3800 block of N. Humboldt Blvd.
53. Darrin L. Moore (age 19) male shot to death while driving a van in the 3200 block of N. 15th Street.
54. Sharon Staples (age 34) pregnant female who was shot during a robbery.
55. Charles Evans (age 32) male 3300 block of N. 9th Street.
56. James L Currin (age 26) male was shot to death in the 2100 block of N. 26th Street.
57. R V Boyd (age 71) male who was beaten August 10th died from his injuries.
56. Rickie D. Blaeske (age 58) male stabbed to death in the 2800 block of N. Fratney Street.
58. Lawrence C. Allen (age 30) male was shot multiple times in the 2400 block of N. 1st Street.
59. William E. Washington (age 54) male died in the 3700 block of N. 13th Street.
60. William C. Roberson (age 28) male of Waukesha died after a stabbing in the 100 block of W. Mitchell Street.
61. Dwight H. McCoy (age 35) male a local producer shot in the 4600 block of N 54th Street.
62. Carmen M. Santana (age 30) female was found dead at a house in the 6100 block of W. Medford Avenue in a domestic violence-related homicide.
63. DeWayne W. Harris (age 30) male was found dead at a house in the 2300 block of N. 44th. Street.
64. Jarvis J. Nash (age 29) male found shot in a house in the 6500 block of W. Villard. Shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute.
65. Louis A. Candelaria (age 19) male shot during an altercation at E. Ring and N. Palmer Street.
66. Millie Joi Smith (age 11 months) baby girl died from abuse.
67. Darnell M. Kendricks (age 17) male shot while waiting to see a fight between two other students and collapsed in an alley behind MATC in the 900 block of 72nd Street.
68. (age 19) male 1500 block of N. 39th.
69. Willie L. Boyd (age 28) male shot in the 2700 block of N. 21st Street.
70. Maritza Ramirez-Cruz (age 23) female who was killed, in the 1600 block of S. 7th Street along with her unborn infant in a fetal abduction.
71. Aaron Allen, Jr. (age 22 months) boy died after being suffocated with a sock by his father.
72. Billy W. Murray (age 63) male was found strangled to death in a room at the Village Inn at 3001 W. Wisconsin Avenue.
73. Marshall K. Johnikin (age 22) male was fatally shot in an alley in the 2400 block of N. 23rd Street.
74. Mitchell A. Oshkenaniew (age 17) male was shot and killed in an altercation in the 2300 block of W. Becher Street.
75. George R. Yensh (age 70) male died of heart attack after a robbery at 2919 W. Wisconsin Avenue.
76. Shawn J. Jenkins (age 41) male found shot to death at Midtown Auto & Metal Recycling 3211 W. Burleigh Street.
77. Frances Pizzaro (age 49) female was pronounced dead after a drunken driver who fled hit her and her son Edward G. Lindsey. She was crossing the street in the 1400 block of W. Greenfield Avenue.
78. Shante D. Alford (age 31) male shot and killed by police in the parking lot between George Webb after a robbery on Old World 3rd Street.
79. Neal A. Tellis (age 24) male died from gunshot wound in the 3000 block of N. Buffum after an quarrel over a jacket.
80. Michael L. Scott (age 21) male died from a gunshot wound in the 2700 block of N. Palmer.
81. Edward G. Lindsey (age 20) male died as a result of a hit and run drunken driver while crossing the street with his mother Frances Pizzarro in the 1400 block of W. Greenfield.
82. Marvin Thomas (age 37) male was shot after a brief quarrel in the 3200 block of N. 9th Street.
83. Darryl L. Ramsey (age 34) male was stabbed to death after an argument with his girlfriend.
84. Barbara McIntosh (age 58) female died in a motor vehicle accident near 34th and W. Forest Home by a teen driver chasing another vehicle.
85. Dararlle J. Addison (age 32) male shot while on the porch of house in the 2200 block N. Hubbard Street.
86. Harvey Johnnies (age 35) male was shot and killed inside a residence in the area of S. 37th and W. National Avenue during a robbery and home invasion.
87. Thomas Watson (age 25) male shot in the 4800 block of W. Meinecke Avenue.
88. Jiyto Cox (age 36) male stabbed to death on Thanksgiving day after past arguments with a tenant in the 4900 block of N. 55th Street.
89. Jesse Greer (age 61) male 5004 N. 39th St. homicide victim of undetermined cause.
90. Andrew Tyler (age 24) male shot inside a residence in the 4400 block of N 50th Street.
91. John M. Astenborski (age 35) male found inside a vehicle in the 7200 block of N. 7th St.
92. Joseph A. McBeath (age 26) male shot to death inside a car on N. 46th & W. Lisbon Avenue.
93.Charles A. Hart (age 34) male shot in an alley near N. 53rd Street & W Auer Avenue.
94. Clementina Hernandez (age 65) female hit by a vehicle while pushing a child in a stroller across S 6th Street.