Candle Light Vigil For 2011 Homicide Victims
Tabernacle Community Baptist Church
2500 West Medford, Milwaukee WI
Friday, December 30, 2011 6:00pm
Mother’s Against Gun Violence (MAGV) is an organization in this community trying to help stop the violence in our community. Please join us in supporting these families and praying over them and saying ENOUGH bloodshed in our community.
A Letter from Mayor Barrett:
A Call for Action to Fight Crime and Reduce Violence Dear Friends: Warm weather typically brings an increase in violent crime, and I believe it is critical that we act early and aggressively to provide law enforcement with the tools they need to keep Milwaukee neighborhoods safe. Many of these tools require the approval of the State Legislature, and the time to act is now – before summer arrives. We need tougher consequences for felons and others who think little of using, carrying or selling illegal guns to terrorize our residents; we need specific legislation to deal with illegal guns; and we need appropriate resources so law enforcement has the manpower and technology it needs to crack down on illegal guns and the criminals who use them. Specifically Chief Flynn, District Attorney Chisholm and I believe the State Legislature must adopt legislation that will address the following: Minimum Mandatory sentences for felons and individuals with prior criminal records in possession of a weapon. Tougher sentences for crimes committed with firearms. Mandatory background checks on all sales of handguns. Adoption of micro-stamping technology legislation. Funding for Community Prosecutors, Drug Prosecutors and Violent Crime Prosecutors in the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office. Direct the 911 emergency surcharge collected within the City of Milwaukee to help pay for police, firefighters and paramedics in the City of Milwaukee. The Legislature has convened Special Sessions to address the state budget and the Great Lakes Compact. I believe fighting crime and reducing violence in Milwaukee and across Wisconsin are equally worthy of a Special Session. The governor has been an ally in the mission to keep Milwaukee safe, and I know he shares my strong belief that gun violence must not be tolerated. Gang members, felons and other criminals who choose to commit violent crime in Milwaukee must face serious consequences for their reckless acts. It’s time to toughen the message, enforce stiff penalties and fund the prosecutors and police needed to put away the bad guys. The time to act is now, and I ask the State Legislature to provide the tools to make Milwaukee safer.
MICAH, a church-based organization, sponsors non-denominational prayer vigils as part of their “Holy Ground” campaign at the sites of homicides in Milwaukee. To be put on the phone tree to be notified of the time of these vigils, please call Marna of Mothers Against Gun Violence at 414–372–4358.
Please note that this count of homicides in the city of Milwaukee is for all homicides in this year. The Holy Ground Campaign count of homicides, which comes to MICAH from the Milwaukee police department does not coincide with the official count of the city of Milwaukee. The official count of the city of Milwaukee excludes some homicides involving a vehicle (vehicular homicides), some on or near county grounds in the city, and homicides resulting from police shootings.
Listing of those Murdered in 2011
January 8, 2011
1. Adam Jon Sobel (age 41) male body found in an alley in the 2800 block of N. 50th Street.
January 18, 2011
2. Dedrie A. Kelly-Baldwin (age 39) female was slain in the 3900 block of N. 28th Street.
January 20, 2011
3. Trinitee Carson (age 2) female suffered multiple injuries at a home in the 9000 block of N. 75th Street.
February 6, 2011
4. Rufino-Dominguez-Rosas (age 34) male was struck by a car in the 1000 block of S. Cesar Chavez Drive.
5. Jarrell D. Johnson (age 25) male.
February 7, 2011
6. Kewondo Boyd (age 30) Female was stabbed to death in the 900 block on N 28th in a domestic violence incident.
March 6, 2011
7. Scott Benton (age 40) male died in a fire at 500 N. 29th Street.
8. Jesus Carlos (age 50).
March 7, 2011
9. Oscar Vega (age 18) male was shot during a robbery in the 1900 block of W. Galena.
March 8, 2011
10. Bruce Jerzey (age 38) male shot and killed inside a house in the 500 block of E. Potter. A 15 year old also was shot at that location but injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.
March 11, 2011
11. Michael J. Grabowski Jr. (age 30) male was helping a pedestrian who was hit by a car when he was struck by a vehicle in the 3300 block of W. Lincoln.
March 15, 2011
12. Diamaris Gonzalez (age 23) female shot.
March 18, 2011
13. Yvontae S. Young (age 18) died in a shooting in the 4700 block of W. Rohr. A 15 year old also was shot but suffered only non-life threatening injuries.
March 19, 2011
14. Robert L. Horne (age 60) male was stabbed to death in a transitional living facility in the 4300 block of N. 27th Street.
15. Daniel L. Thompson (age 25) male was shot to death in the 3200 block of N. 26th Street.
March 25, 2011
16. Oshay D. Shaffer (age 17) male was shot outside a friends house in the 500 block of W. Maple Street.
April 2, 2011
17. Kamari J. Curtis (age 2) boy beaten at 2224 W. Wisconsin Avenue.
April 7, 2011
18. Brandon C. Thomas (age 26) shot and killed in an apartment in the 1300 block of W. Locust Avenue after a quarrel.
April 10, 2011
19. Joseph Johnson (age 27) was shot from an argument during a basketball game at O’Tiefenthaler Park near N. 24th and W. Cherry Street.
April 12, 2011
20. Dominique Greenwood (age 21) male shot at the intersection of N. 53rd and W. Fairmont Avenue.
April 19, 2011
21. Alvin Fuller (age 34) male shot to death in the 6000 block of N. 63rd Street.
April 23, 2011
22. Tajun L. Spencer (age 29) shot in the 3200 block of N. 11th Street.
April 24, 2011
23. Norma L. Williams (age 47) female killed in the 4600 block of N. 27th Street.
April 26, 2011
24. Meanie M. Jones (age 38) female shot to death in the 5800 block of N. 38th Street.
25. Cleveland D. Walker (age 37) male shot to death in the 5800 block of N. 38th Street.
April 27, 2011
26. Benita Castro (age 23) male was shot while driving in an alley after an altercation in the 2400 block of W. Mitchell Street.
April 28, 2011
27. Royality Sanders (age 10 months) boy died in the 5100 block of N. 47th Street after the infant was fed morphine and oxycodone.
May 2, 2011
28. Devon J. Butler (age 17) male was shot before he crashed a SUV at the corner of N. 38th and W. Fond du lac Avenue.
29. Shelton D. Smith (age 16) male shot to death in a scrap yard in the 9000 block of W. Fond du lac Avenue.
May 7, 2011
30. Anthony F. Brown (age 25) male killed in a shooting in the street in the 2300 block of N. 15th Street. A 44 year old women was also shot but she is expected to survive.
May 16, 2011
31. Luz E. Cardona-Baez (age 31) female fatally shot in the 1500 block of S. 23rd Street.
May 23, 2011
32. Lee E. McTiller (age 31) male shot to death in the 2400 block of N. 49th Street.
May 24, 2011
33. Luis E. Santiago (age 30) male was fatally shot during a bar fight inside LaPiazza at 1504 E. North Avenue. Another 28 year old man was wounded his injuries not life threatening.
May 26, 2011
34. Antonio L. Stewart (age 20) male shot.
May 28, 2011
35. Derrick Marquez (age 10 months) boy died after being hit with a video game controller.
36. Javonte Bohanan (age 18) male killed in a vehicular accident at the intersection of N. 35th and W. Townsend Street.
37. Ahmed N. Cooper (age 52) male died from blunt force trauma on a porch in the 2000 block of N. 37th Street.
May 29, 2011
38. Kenlance Wherry (age 34) male was shot in an alley in the 2700 block of N. 38th Street.
39. Gennie Cooks (age 50) male was shot on a porch in the 2300 block of N. 15th Street.
June 8, 2011
40. Jenaya Hicks (age 1) girl died of blunt-force injuries of the torso. Her death was ruled a homicide.
June 16, 2011
41. Shelton Atterberry (age 36) male stabbed during a fight over the relationship in the 2800 block of W. Meinecke Avenue.
June 17, 2011
42. Kenda M. Baker (age 25) male shot and killed in the 1700 block of W. Mineral Street after an argument.
June 26, 2011
43. Latare Nixon (age 37) male was killed by police in the 3100 block of N 44th Street.
June 29, 2011
44. Rebecca Manzke (age 34) female stabbed by her boyfriend in the 7300 block of W. Burdick Avenue.
July 10, 2011
45. Ashantia L. Lindsey (age 19) male shot inside a house in the 1300 block of W. Madison during an ongoing feud with the suspect.
July 11, 2011
46. Kenneth Cunning (age 26) male shot in the 3500 block of N. l0th Street by his friend.
July 13, 2011
47. Curtis J. Walker (age 18) male was shot several times and killed outside a home in the 5500 block of N. 34th Street during an ongoing dispute.
July 17, 2011
48. Cordell Robinson (age 22) male was shot in the 1800 block of W. Kearney Place.
July 19, 2011
49. Terrence Leverson (age 27) male died of gunshot wounds at a family barbecue in the 3500 block of N. 23rd Street.
July 20, 2011
50. Antrell C. Blake (age 22) male was shot and killed in the 2800 block of N. 24th Place.
July 26, 2011
51. Johnny Jordan (age 43) male thrown into the river from the Wisconsin Avenue bridge during a fight and drowned.
July 30, 2011
52. Terry Jordan (age 53) male shot during domestic violence in a home in the 3800 block of N. Humboldt Blvd.
August 2, 2011
53. Darrin L. Moore (age 19) male shot to death while driving a van in the 3200 block of N. 15th Street.
August 7, 2011
54. Sharon Staples (age 34) pregnant female who was shot during a robbery.
August 13, 2011
55. Charles Evans (age 32) male 3300 block of N. 9th Street.
August 20, 2011
56. James L Currin (age 26) male was shot to death in the 2100 block of N. 26th Street.
August 21, 2011
57. R V Boyd (age 71) male who was beaten August 10th died from his injuries.
August 22, 2011
56. Rickie D. Blaeske (age 58) male stabbed to death in the 2800 block of N. Fratney Street.
August 23, 2011
58. Lawrence C. Allen (age 30) male was shot multiple times in the 2400 block of N. 1st Street.
59. William E. Washington (age 54) male died in the 3700 block of N. 13th Street.
September 1, 2011
60. William C. Roberson (age 28) male of Waukesha died after a stabbing in the 100 block of W. Mitchell Street.
September 11, 2011
61. Dwight H. McCoy (age 35) male a local producer shot in the 4600 block of N 54th Street.
September 13, 2011
62. Carmen M. Santana (age 30) female was found dead at a house in the 6100 block of W. Medford Avenue in a domestic violence-related homicide.
September 17, 2011
63. DeWayne W. Harris (age 30) male was found dead at a house in the 2300 block of N. 44th. Street.
September 25, 2011
64. Jarvis J. Nash (age 29) male found shot in a house in the 6500 block of W. Villard. Shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute.
September 26, 2011
65. Louis A. Candelaria (age 19) male shot during an altercation at E. Ring and N. Palmer Street.
66. Millie Joi Smith (age 11 months) baby girl died from abuse.
September 27, 2011
67. Darnell M. Kendricks (age 17) male shot while waiting to see a fight between two other students and collapsed in an alley behind MATC in the 900 block of 72nd Street.
September 28, 2011
68. (age 19) male 1500 block of N. 39th.
October 1, 2011
69. Willie L. Boyd (age 28) male shot in the 2700 block of N. 21st Street.
October 6, 2011
70. Maritza Ramirez-Cruz (age 23) female who was killed, in the 1600 block of S. 7th Street along with her unborn infant in a fetal abduction.
October 9, 2011
71. Aaron Allen, Jr. (age 22 months) boy died after being suffocated with a sock by his father.
October 16, 2011
72. Billy W. Murray (age 63) male was found strangled to death in a room at the Village Inn at 3001 W. Wisconsin Avenue.
73. Marshall K. Johnikin (age 22) male was fatally shot in an alley in the 2400 block of N. 23rd Street.
74. Mitchell A. Oshkenaniew (age 17) male was shot and killed in an altercation in the 2300 block of W. Becher Street.
October 22, 2011
75. George R. Yensh (age 70) male died of heart attack after a robbery at 2919 W. Wisconsin Avenue.
October 28, 2011
76. Shawn J. Jenkins (age 41) male found shot to death at Midtown Auto & Metal Recycling 3211 W. Burleigh Street.
November 6, 2011
77. Frances Pizzaro (age 49) female was pronounced dead after a drunken driver who fled hit her and her son Edward G. Lindsey. She was crossing the street in the 1400 block of W. Greenfield Avenue.
November 11, 2011
78. Shante D. Alford (age 31) male shot and killed by police in the parking lot between George Webb after a robbery on Old World 3rd Street.
November 14, 2011
79. Neal A. Tellis (age 24) male died from gunshot wound in the 3000 block of N. Buffum after an quarrel over a jacket.
80. Michael L. Scott (age 21) male died from a gunshot wound in the 2700 block of N. Palmer.
November 15, 2011
81. Edward G. Lindsey (age 20) male died as a result of a hit and run drunken driver while crossing the street with his mother Frances Pizzarro in the 1400 block of W. Greenfield.
82. Marvin Thomas (age 37) male was shot after a brief quarrel in the 3200 block of N. 9th Street.
November 18, 2011
83. Darryl L. Ramsey (age 34) male was stabbed to death after an argument with his girlfriend.
November 21, 2011
84. Barbara McIntosh (age 58) female died in a motor vehicle accident near 34th and W. Forest Home by a teen driver chasing another vehicle.
85. Dararlle J. Addison (age 32) male shot while on the porch of house in the 2200 block N. Hubbard Street.
November 22, 2011
86. Harvey Johnnies (age 35) male was shot and killed inside a residence in the area of S. 37th and W. National Avenue during a robbery and home invasion.
87. Thomas Watson (age 25) male shot in the 4800 block of W. Meinecke Avenue.
November 24, 2011
88. Jiyto Cox (age 36) male stabbed to death on Thanksgiving day after past arguments with a tenant in the 4900 block of N. 55th Street.
November 29, 2011
89. Jesse Greer (age 61) male 5004 N. 39th St. homicide victim of undetermined cause.
December 5, 2011
90. Andrew Tyler (age 24) male shot inside a residence in the 4400 block of N 50th Street.
December 13, 2011
91. John M. Astenborski (age 35) male found inside a vehicle in the 7200 block of N. 7th St.
92. Joseph A. McBeath (age 26) male shot to death inside a car on N. 46th & W. Lisbon Avenue.
December 15, 2011
93.Charles A. Hart (age 34) male shot in an alley near N. 53rd Street & W Auer Avenue.
December 19, 2011
94. Clementina Hernandez (age 65) female hit by a vehicle while pushing a child in a stroller across S 6th Street.